1. Who is eligible for Meals on Wheels?
Meals on Wheels is available for:
– Adults aged 65 years of age or over and find it challenging to prepare meals
– Disabled individuals who have difficulty preparing their own meals
– Individuals not preparing adequate meals because they are ill, recovering from surgery or an injury, or are dealing with personal health issues
2. How much does it cost?
Privately paying clients are charged a fee of $6.50 per meal. Clients are invoiced at the end of the month for the number of meals they have received in that month. Payment can be made by cash, cheque, e-transfer, Visa, or MasterCard. Some clients are referred by a support agency such as the Department of Social Development, The Department of Veterans Affairs, Extra Mural Program, and Saint Mary’s Health Centre. As such, the cost of their meals may be subsidized by the referring agency on a case by case basis.
3. When are meals delivered?
Community-minded, caring volunteers who have been screened by the Police and the Department of Social Development deliver meals 365 days of the year. Meals are delivered between 11:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., seven days a week. We deliver meals within the city of Fredericton and to the Village of New Maryland.
4. Who prepares the food?
Meals are prepared in the kitchens at the Dr. Everett Chalmers Regional Hospital and York Care Centre. You will be given a 3 week rotating menu from which to make your food choices.
Each meal includes:
– An appetizer (soup or salad)
– A main course (eg. meat, fish, casserole, potatoes, and vegetables)
– A roll, bread, or biscuit
5. Can special diets be accommodated?
We can provide meals to allow for most special dietary requirements such as diabetes, low sodium or cholesterol, low residue, gluten-free, celiac, and various mild allergies.
Please note – we cannot guarantee that there is no cross-contamination in the preparation and delivery of our meals, so we strongly urge anyone with a life threatening allergy to avoid using our service.
Although the daily menus are selected on a three week rotation, changes can be made.
6. Is it possible to provide a few meals for a friend or relative or as a gift for birthday or holidays without them having to formally register as a client?
We have gift certificates that you can purchase for situations such as this. Call us to discuss arrangements.
7. What are the benefits of receiving Meals on Wheels ?
– Improved Health; Good nutrition is a key to good health.
– Independence; You can’t live alone if you don’t stay healthy.
– Food Safety; Meals are freshly prepared and delivered daily.
– Social Support; A friendly smile comes with the meal each day.
– Peace of mind for yourself and your family; A volunteer checks on each client regularly.
Still have questions? Call us at 506-458-9482 or email email@example.com